For when you want to be a consumer but also don’t want to feed too much into the capitalist agenda. Trick – all your consumerist tendencies feed into the capitalist agenda. But actually, these are just some of my favourite and most-used things that I think everyone could use that are also under $10 because my wallet still hurts after the holidays.
Continue reading →
This is the Millennial Working in the Big City edition of What’s in My Bag. (Here is the previous edition if you want to take a peek. I also did not realize until just now that it’s been 2 years since my first bag post.)
Continue reading →
The Internet is honestly such a weird and fascinating place and sometimes I find things that (I think) are pretty cool and also I think everyone else should look at the things as well. Hopefully, you find them just as interesting/useful as I do or you know someone else who would!
For when you’re a busy on-the-go millennial who also wants to stay on top of news in case it comes up at the water cooler or, y’know, you just want to be aware of what goes on in the world. The Skimm sends daily emails to your inbox that tells you the news and also relevant context so you have a better understanding of what’s going on. The link above is indeed my referral link – I don’t even think I get anything more than some swag (but I love swag so it’s fine) but I will feel a little less shame when I see the number of referrals in my inbox every morning.
I love food and I love film + television, but not nearly as much as this guy. He makes videos about the foods in pop culture and it’s all very high-quality content with a healthy splash of alcohol and sarcasm. It does kind of require you to have knowledge of the show/movie being featured for maximum enjoyment, but if you’re not familiar with the context of the food you can still watch and appreciate the recipe (and sass) component. He’s really blown up over the last few months so he’s posting content pretty frequently (bless). I love him and would pay a lot of money to be his roommate who gets to eat all this food.
My favourite one is the turkey sandwich from Friends, 1) because I have watched this episode probably 20 times in my life, and 2) because he makes a whole goddamn turkey for this sandwich.
Do you love hearing about people’s weird bosses/coworkers/other work stories? Or probably a more likely scenario – do you want decent career advice while hearing about weird bosses and coworkers? I recommend you clear a couple hours and start clicking away on this blog. Alison Green answers all your work-related questions on AAM and it’s so easy to lose most of your day because you got sucked into her blog.
I’ve read a lot of crazy stuff on this site but this one is probably the most hilariously ridiculous by far. I’m just giving you this one post to start with – it’s entitled “a coworker stole my spicy food, got sick, and is blaming me”. Right?
I stumbled upon this site this term while I was job hunting (and as of this moment of writing, I’m still job hunting) and it’s actually pretty solid in terms of not-just-pyramid-scheme-postings. (Other career pages that I like include Indeed, Techvibes Job Board, StartupNorth, and LinkedIn of course. TalentEgg is okay but I personally never see anything that I am interested in on there.)
Flappy Bird but with puppers. That’s all.
I found it really awkward trying to writing this post, partially out of guilt that I’ve been slacking so much on the posting front, and partially because I’m so used to writing emails for work that I actually thought starting this off with ‘hello all,’ was a solid idea. Actually it’s totally solid, I’m keeping it.
Things that have happened in the last month:
- Not a whole lot, between work and sleeping I found out that I’m a pretty boring person.
- Actually that’s a giant lie – I was out of the office last week because of Orientation Week 2015 and it was just the most amazing week ever. I remember that O-Week is always awesome but it’s not until you’re in the moment that you realize how amazing it is that the week happens due to the spirit of hundreds of volunteers and the power of pizza and coffee. My fellow leaders are totally my Orientation fam and I still have cheers looping in my head. Some of my first years told me that I inspired them to be leaders for next year and it was just the sweetest thing.
- So many emails piled up in my inbox while I was gone and it reiterated to me that I’m super Type A and I almost shed a tear when I saw that I had to sort it all out.
- Speaking of work, it’s going amazingly, everyone is amazingly cool here and I swear I’m getting better at pool and foosball (thanks to the games room). I love love love this role and how much I get to learn about and work on the back end of marketing. And sometimes I get to do fun things, like the TEDx event we’re doing on Friday (aka Friday off!) and Hack the North this weekend (to which I’ll be contributing nothing but a giant cheque with emojis on it, as well as very little hacking knowledge).
- I’m in the process of commissioning a brick wall tapestry from Elaine because she’s super talented and I want a brick wall in my room one way or another. Will let you all know how that works out!
Thanks for tuning in to this super fun segment of updates in Vicky’s life, please stay hyped for the eventual return of Music Mondays and other things.
Warmest regards (aha, get it – work brain!),
I’ve been AWOL lately and I’m so sorry! I blame exams, then moving, then starting my new job. Thought I’d give you guys just a quick update of the things that have been going on in my life in the last very hectic month or so.
- Finished all my exams (all 3 of them phew)! I know it doesn’t sound like a lot but I also had to do them all within 4 days which was brutal on my mind and also on my hand. Sometimes I miss MC exams and then I remember how awful they were too.
- Finishing my exams also meant finishing my second year, which was exciting because I feel like reaching the midpoint of university gets me over the hump. Also because the transition from second to third year feels more impressive than the transition from first to second.
- In between studying and crying over the longest exam ever, I turned 20. I actually turned 20 on the day of the worst exam ever but I’m over it. Beat teenage pregnancy, yada yada yada.
- Spent my week off packing up my room and then moving back to Oakville. I’m super exciting please stay tuned for my adventures in Oakville.
- To kick that off I finished painting my bedroom white, which to me is exciting. Mainly because when we moved into this new house my parents (for god knows what reason) let me paint my room a dark blue/grey colour. Actually I don’t even think I was the person who painted it. I’m pretty sure I Tom Sawyered it off on my parents. Anyways, I didn’t feel like it fit my aesthetic anymore, also my room was really dark and it made me sad so a change in wall colour was necessary.
- My dad took me belated birthday clothes shopping because I wanted more business casual stuff (as if I needed more) and it turns out my office is pretty casual. Damn it. It’s fine I’ll just be the super dressed up co-op in the corner over here.
- I started my new job two days ago, and I’m very very hyped for it. Daunting, but the office is great and the people seem really amazing so this is shaping up to be an exciting 8 months.
- I went all the way to Burlington and got IKEA hotdogs, which I feel is super important in my life and you all need to know about it.
I will bring back my Music Mondays and hopefully some other kinds of blog posts because my house is finally getting WiFi put in :’) Which I guess is the only real update.
It’s been a month and this blog is still alive, which means that it has surpassed the lifespan of:
- Phil the fish (~ 6 hours)
- my succulent (~ 3 weeks?)
- This one is particularly sad because I was told that I basically can’t kill succulents and they don’t even need to be watered that often, but it still died. I am in the process of propagating some of the leaves but….we’ll see.
But yes, life updates in the last month, here we go!
- I got a co-op placement for the next two terms, which I was very happy about because I’ll be doing marketing at a company in Mississauga (living rent-free at home and convincing my dad to let me drive to work) and it meant that I was done with the whole Jobmine grind! Too much on my plate to deal with continuous round and because it’s an 8 month position, I don’t have to reapply, excellent! Unfortunately it also means that I’ll be throw off-stream from my friends for a year – bye forever friends! Just kidding please continue to love me even though I’m ditching you.
- I bought the cutest leafy print dress from H&M, which you will see in a haul post coming up soonish. What do you mean this doesn’t count as a life update? It has colour which is a very exciting change in my monochrome wardrobe!
- My fam and I attempted to teach Mike how to play mahjong which was very amusing to us but probably very confusing to him.
- I did well on a paper!
- Guys I’m running out of things to tell you, I don’t do very much…
I think I might do one of these each month in case anything really interesting happens in my life. Since this is my first one, I guess we’ll play catch up with the most important events that have happened in the last while:
- I celebrated 4 years together with my boyfriend! We’re cute, you’re going to think we’re gross.
- I finished my first co-op term at an Ontario Ministry! It was a lot of fun, I really loved my team and I loved being in the city. If you want to creep through my Instagram, you’ll see a lot of pictures of food because that’s really all I do.
- I’m back on campus this term and, boy, do I have high expectations for myself:
- 6 courses
- finding my next co-op position
- undergraduate research assistant position with one of my favourite profs
- I cooked my first casserole. According to my friend Jill, this act does not get me 50 adult points like I thought it would, but she’s not the adult points commissioner, so I get 50 adult points.
- Completed my first interview of the term today! Side note, if your interviewer is under 30, don’t ask them if they know what Reddit is. They will, and they will not be amused that you asked.
I actually think that’s all that’s happened in my life. It’s not that exciting – oh wait no! I got new pillowcases!