I honestly meant for this post to go out yesterday but then I went on an impromptu mini roadtrip to Peterborough and that plan got derailed. I hope you all had a fantastic Valentine’s Day / Family Day weekend. At the very least I hope you has a good long weekend.
Speaking of music, I bit the (very expensive) bullet this week and bought my Wayhome ticket. Please dear god of schedules, let me have Fridays off again next term so I can go.
- Pristine – Mantaraybryn
- Heard it, loved it, promptly forgot the name or anything identifying in the lyrics. You know, the same old music love story. Actually this is a lie, I remember the line about the American Dream but surprise surprise, if all you have is the phrase ‘American Dream’ you aren’t going to find much past some patriotic stuff. I then thought I remembered the song being called Christine. Incorrect again, and I suffered a lot until a friend had to put me out of my misery.
- Spirits – The Strumbellas
- The guns in my head won’t let me stop listening to this song, which I feel like is probably fine except for everyone around me who want to listen to something – anything else. The song is made up of like, two verses that is constantly repeated but damn if they aren’t two super catchy verses.
- Roses – The Chainsmokers ft. ROZES
- This song isn’t about selfies, but sure is perfect for taking a drive at night. I feel like a lot of my music is meant for nighttime drives, something that I’m sure would change as soon as I learn to drive and then will have to rely on the music of passengers. pretty confident I won’t want to listen to this in a week but that’s me – Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em Jiang. That’s what that phrase means right??
- My House – Flo Rida
- I connected a lot with this song during my first listen because I was like yo, Flo, I totally love staying indoors and not going outside too! Except then I realized that I meant knitting and wine but he meant partying and, well, I guess we have wine in common. Luckily I’ll never be put in a situation where I’d embarrass myself at a Flo Rida party. Is he from Florida? I could Google this, but I’d rather leave it as an unanswered question in a blog post about music.
- Thneedville – The Lorax Singers
- I am unapologetically obsessed with this song, and also the movie The Lorax. If you somehow have never seen the movie yet, or have read the book that it’s based on, I strongly encourage you to because it’s not-so-subtly about environmentalism and has kickass songs.
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl – Jet
- Part of my playlist in the last week has been some of the more classic songs of my childhood, including Why Do You Build Me Up Buttercup, and You Can’t Hurry Love. Sorry to Mike who has had to listen to the former about half a dozen times in the last 48 hours. This is such a classic karaoke choice, and also dance party song.
- Chelsea Dagger – The Fratellis
- Following on the kicky drum line of Are You Gonna Be My Girl (heh, kicky), Chelsea Dagger is also a classic. I don’t know, can you actually resist the urge to move around to this song, or at the very least – tap your feet annoying in the silent library as people freak out about midterms? I’m actually pretty out of touch with the study term schedule right now, but I think people might be on reading week?
I also hope that WordPress has fixed their Spotify bug because my playlists seem broken now and that makes me sad. WordPress, come on. Get it together.