The theme of today’s Music Monday is half early high school and half songs I didn’t find until recently but would’ve been perfect for early high school. It’s that kind of fall weather that makes me glad to be inside an office all day because it’s sunny and beautiful but also bone-chillingly cold and I’m perfect content to be indoors. I’m almost done all my transcription for my professor (Dr. Kitchen if you’re reading this they’re coming!) so I put this post together between long sessions of typing.
- Almost – Bowling for Soup
- Bowling for Soup was my jam. Seriously, throw on 1985 and cue the jumping around that I like to call dancing. I don’t have any of the same experiences as the song but y’know, I can pretend.
- Everything is Alright – Motion City Soundtrack
- I don’t know who turned me onto MCS, but I think the only song I listened to for a while was It Had To Be You, but this song makes me happy and let’s me pretend that I don’t have giant piles of work to do.
- Dark Blue – Jack’s Mannequin
- This and Swim were on loop for a while there – I think back in the day when I still had an MP3. I know, I know – what the hell is an MP3? Do you want me to start talking to you about my ABBA phase? Don’t judge I’m pretty sure everyone had one.
- L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. – Noah and the Whale
- The song is so happy it took me a couple of listens to realize how real it gets at times. Best lyrics though, really taught me to spell a whole phrase as opposed to just a fruit. Fergie, yeah I’m talking to you.
- Time Go – Caught a Ghost
- Okay so this one is newer and if the first half of this playlist was for the daytime then this second half is for when you stare out the darkening sky, maybe a timelapse of a sunset going by?
- Mess is Mine – Vance Joy
- Oh Vance, you bring such Joy to rainy days. Get it? Also it’s not rainy today, it was actually very crisp and gorgeous but it was hailing over the weekend so imagine that in the background.
- Empire – Of Monsters and Men
- Not very early high school, but very first-year-dead-of-winter-on-repeat-in-the-suite vibes because we were very bad about not listening to a song on repeat in my apartment. Now I’m excited to skip straight to the part of winter with silent streets at night with blankets of snow and orangey skies.
Okay back to furious typing I go. I hope you’re listening to this mix as you go vote (nudge nudge).